When choosing an accountant

Home/When choosing an accountant

When choosing an accountant, Southport has found one to help you that should suit you or your business needs.

Some accountants specialise in tax returns for individuals or for businesses in a particular industry, and others are experts in a particular area of legally minimising taxation.

Help with your tax

An accountant can help you prepare and lodge your tax return.

If you’re an employee

A good accountant will be useful if you have multiple jobs or income from investments. They can also help you claim all the tax deductions you’re entitled to and make sure your tax return is correct.

If your income is from one employer, your tax return will be less complicated.

You can lodge your return yourself online for free using myTax, the ATO’s free online tool. You need a myGov account linked to the ATO to lodge online.

If you work for yourself

If you work for yourself as a sole trader, contractor or freelancer, an accountant can help.

They can help with your BAS (business activity statements) and PAYG (Pay as you go) instalments. They can also tell you what deductions you can claim, and give advice on super contributions and tax.

Help with your business

If you run your own business, an accountant can help you set up and maintain your financial records. They can also help you meet your tax obligations.

The right accountant can also offer advice and guidance on your accounts as your business grows.

They can help with:

  • setting up accounting and bookkeeping software
  • setting up the legal structure of your business — for example, as a company, corporation, partnership or sole trader
  • applying for an ABN or ACN
  • dealing with the ATO on your behalf
  • profit, loss and forecasting
  • paying staff or contractors

Qualifications matter!

Our leading accountant Southport is a member of a CPA, CA, IPA, SPAA. Members of these bodies have an accredited tertiary qualification and must comply with professional standards.

Only registered tax agents can prepare and lodge tax returns. Our Practices  Tax Practitioners Board Register.

To provide advice about investing or planning for retirement, an accountant must have an Australian financial services (AFS) licence.

Our Leading accountant Southport has this qualification

Self Managed Super Funds

Funds need to be audited and comply with ongoing tax changes and legislation.

Setting up and Self Managed Fund?

It requires an accountant to not just set one up, but also good advise as to whether this is the right option for you.